John Hageman covers North Dakota politics from the Forum News Service bureau in Bismarck. He attended the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities, where he studied journalism and political science, and he previously worked at the Grand Forks Herald and Bemidji Pioneer.
- Member for
- 5 years 3 months
BISMARCK — Actions taken by state agencies will help make a live-saving opioid overdose antidote more widely available in North Dakota, a state human services official said Friday, Oct. 20. The moves come under an executive order signed by Gov. Doug Burgum in late September and represent further efforts to prevent opioid overdose deaths, which have skyrocketed around the country in recent years. The governor's order was focused on naloxone, a medication that reverses opioid overdose symptoms in an emergency.
BISMARCK — North Dakota newspaper officials are worried about a "general tightening" of government meetings and records this year, a pattern highlighted by reporters being kept out of recent summits on the Fargo-Moorhead flood diversion project. "It just seems like there's a general trend in government that used to be very much in favor of transparency now isn't," said Jack McDonald, attorney for the North Dakota Newspaper Association.
BISMARCK—North Dakota's insurance commissioner will deny additional health insurance rate increases after President Donald Trump's decision to cut off subsidies to insurers, the state insurance department said Tuesday, Oct. 17. The decision means the previously approved rates released earlier this month will stand. Premiums will increase by between 7.9 percent and 22.6 percent next year for North Dakota customers covered under the federal health care exchange.
BISMARCK -- As cities and states across the country apply to be the site of Amazon’s new headquarters, the Red River Valley already appears to be out of the running. Lisa Gulland-Nelson, vice president of marketing and public relations for the Greater Fargo Moorhead Economic Development Corp., said they filled out an initial questionnaire but weren’t able to submit a full proposal because they didn’t meet enough of the criteria.
BISMARCK—Randy Ziegler was bracing for a major headache once Marsy's Law went into effect late last year. But the Bismarck deputy police chief has been flabbergasted by the minimal impact the new crime victim's rights measure has had on the department. Since it was implemented, Marsy's Law has only been invoked 11 times to Bismarck police officers, he said. "It is a little mind-boggling to me," Ziegler said. "Eleven is a very, very small number." An official at the Burleigh County State's Attorney's Office said 26 people have asserted at least parts of it there.
BISMARCK—A contract dispute between the state of North Dakota and a Wahpeton construction firm that oversaw a major addition to the Heritage Center is headed to a jury trial next month. Comstock Construction sued the State Historical Society in March 2016, arguing it breached its contract by improperly withholding payment, among other claims. It was the general contractor for the museum's recent 97,000-square-foot expansion. Comstock's claims total more than $2 million, according to a brief filed this week.
BISMARCK—President Donald Trump's decision to cease health insurer subsidies under the Affordable Care Act could raise premiums in North Dakota, the state's insurance commissioner said Friday, Oct. 13. The cost-sharing reduction payments compensate insurers for reducing out-of-pocket costs for low-income people buying Obamacare marketplace plans. Insurance Commissioner Jon Godfread, a Republican, said the 42,000 North Dakotans who are on the individual marketplace are "likely going to see some effect from this" in the form of rate adjustments.
BISMARCK — A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by almost two dozen Morton County landowners who alleged Dakota Access made "numerous misrepresentations" when negotiating easements along the oil pipeline's route. U.S. District Judge Daniel Hovland's order, filed Tuesday, Oct. 10, said the plaintiffs weren't specific in their claims of fraud, such as when the fraudulent statements were made and the names of people who made them.
BISMARCK — Hopeful that legal barriers will soon be lifted, officials planning the massive flood protection project for Fargo-Moorhead plan to seek state funding early next year, Fargo Mayor Tim Mahoney told legislators Thursday, Oct. 12. Two years ago, state lawmakers passed a bill stating their intent for $266 million to be made available for the project in equal installments over the following four bienniums. Mahoney said they're planning to go to the State Water Commission, chaired by Gov. Doug Burgum, to ask for that $66.5 million in February.
BISMARCK—A federal judge declined to vacate the Dakota Access oil pipeline's easement on Wednesday, Oct. 11, while the project undergoes further analysis. U.S District Court Judge James Boasberg's order comes about four months after he ruled the Army Corps of Engineers had failed to fully follow the National Environmental Protection Act when it said the pipeline wouldn't have a significant environmental impact. He sent the matter back to the agency for further evaluation, but sought feedback on a proper remedy.