Husband saves wife from Christmas Eve fire
A woman is home recovering after a freak fire accident on Christmas Eve.
Sharon and Casey Pearson look forward to Christmas each year; the food, the exchanging of gifts but most of all the time with family.
But before any of that happened Sharon was hoping for a Christmas miracle to save her life.
This is how Christmas Eve started for Sharon Pearson and her family.
This is how it ended.
"I was just happy to be alive at that point," said Sharon.
The 30-year old was spending it with family in rural Kittson County. She was finishing getting dolled up with Christmas cheer in the bathroom, with candles lit, when disaster struck.
"I leaned over the wrong way and just lit my hair on fire," she recalled.
Her husband heard the cries for help and was there in seconds.
"I opened the door and her hair is going up in flames, she had a black hoodie on and I snuffed out the flames as fast as I could," explained Casey.
With critical burns to half of her head the Grand Forks woman was flown to a Twin Cities burn unit.
"Honestly it's not as bad as I thought it was," commented Sharon.
After four days of treatment Sharon is out of the hospital. But the road to recovery is far from over. Likely a year of 4 1/2 hour trips back and forth to the cities for appointments, including plastic surgery. While this holiday season did not go as planned she is already looking forward to next Christmas.
"It's about spending time with family," said Sharon.
"Which we didn't get to do," Casey chimed in.
"We spent it together," said Sharon.
"True," replied Casey.
Sharon is sharing her story to remind people life can change in an instant even during the most joyous time of year.
A GoFundMe site has been setup for Sharon since the retail clerk will miss a lot of work as she goes through rehab.
A fund has also been setup at any United Valley Bank branch.