Propane explosion forces hundreds to evacuate in Rogers, MNROGERS, Minn. -- Up to 600 people were evacuated Sunday from a large apartment complex here after an underground propane tank exploded.
By: Forum News Service, INFORUM, WDAY
ROGERS, Minn. -- Up to 600 people were evacuated Sunday from a large apartment complex here after an underground propane tank exploded.
The explosion stemmed from a 40-foot wide pavilion holding a generator and propane tank next to the apartment complex, according to Rogers police chief Jeff Beahen.
No injuries have been reported , he said. Families, many with children, from the 196-unit apartment complex were taken by Metro Transit buses to a hotel across the street and to a nearby movie theater. The pavilion exploded at 8:41 a.m., he said, and by 9:30 a.m., everyone had been evacuated.
He said windows of the apartment were blown out, but the only visible damage was to the apartment building walls.
The complex, called the Preserve at Commerce, is at 13600 Commerce Boulevard, near Minnesota 101 and S. Diamond Lake Road and roughly 30 miles northwest of the Twin Cities.