INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published December 17, 2013, 10:15 PM

Ten garages damaged by fire in Fargo

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - We learned the cause Tuesday of a fire at a Fargo apartment complex that damaged or destroyed ten garages and several cars. Investigators say gasoline leaked while two people were working on a car inside one of the garages at the DeMaio Place Apartments.

By: WDAY Staff Reports , WDAY

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - We learned the cause Tuesday of a fire at a Fargo apartment complex that damaged or destroyed ten garages and several cars.

Investigators say gasoline leaked while two people were working on a car inside one of the garages at the DeMaio Place Apartments.

The vapors caught fire from an open-flame propane heater nearby.

Luckily, everyone was able to escape safely.

Ryan Erickson/Fargo Fire Inspector: “When they produce those vapors, if it leaves its container, those vapors are going to be heavier than air and they're going to stick to the ground and seek out ignition sources. So if you're working with gasoline, it’s important to make sure you don't have open flame heaters or other sources of ignition nearby.”

Six units and three vehicles are destroyed, and four other garages have moderate damage.

Tags: