Lawsuit seeks list of accused priests in DuluthDULUTH, Minn. (AP) — A lawsuit filed Monday on behalf of a man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest in the Diocese of Duluth in the 1970s is asking the diocese to release its list of 17 priests accused of molesting minors.
DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — A lawsuit filed Monday on behalf of a man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest in the Diocese of Duluth in the 1970s is asking the diocese to release its list of 17 priests accused of molesting minors.
The lawsuit, filed in St. Louis County District Court, alleges the diocese was negligent because it failed to protect children from a priest who had previously accused of molesting boys.
A message left with the diocese was not immediately returned.
The lawsuit says the diocese didn't go to law enforcement, and gave parents no warning the priest was a risk. The plaintiff, identified as Doe 28, claims the priest abused him from 1972 to 1974, when he was between 11 and 14 years old. The boy had been participating in activities at Sacred Heart Church in Duluth, the complaint said.
It also alleges the diocese is conspiring to conceal the identities of priests who have been accused of sexually abusing children.
The lawsuit seeks the release of a list of 17 priests who had been credibly accused of sexually abusing minors in the Duluth diocese. The list was compiled in 2004 as part of a national study to examine the scope of clergy sex abuse.
Attorneys for victims are pushing for disclosure of that list and others around the state.
Last week, a Ramsey County judge ordered the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis and the Diocese of Winona to disclose their lists of accused priests. The archdiocese revealed the names of 34 priests accused of sexually abusing minors, and said updates are expected.
The Winona diocese plans to release its list by next week's court-ordered deadline.