Area Veterans Day observancesFaro-Moorhead - Several events are planned in observance of Veterans Day:
By: Forum News Service, INFORUM, Forum News Service
Faro-Moorhead - Several events are planned in observance of Veterans Day:
• The Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 941 will conduct a ceremony at 9 a.m. at the Veterans Memorial Bridge spanning Fargo and Moorhead.
• Veterans organizations will gather at 10:30 a.m. in Fargo’s Great Northern Depot parking lot on the corner of Fourth Avenue North and Fifth Street. They will proceed to the Civic Center, where a flag-raising ceremony and program is slated at 10:55 a.m. Music will be provided by the Red River Valley Veterans Concert Band. Welcoming remarks will be delivered by Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker and Dilworth Mayor Chad Olson. The keynote address will be given by North Dakota AMVETS Commander Mark Wagemann.
• American Legion Post 2 will serve a free stew lunch at noon in Legacy Hall. The Red River Valley Veterans Concert Band will perform shortly after noon.
• Fargo VFW will serve stew at noon. The Red River Valley Veterans Concert Band will perform at 2 p.m. and activities are planned throughout the afternoon.
• The Fargo AMVETS Post 7 will serve a meal at 1 p.m. and festivities are planned throughout the day. The organization will also participate in a 2 p.m. ceremony at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
E The West Fargo VFW Post 7564, Ladies Auxiliary and AMVETS Post 8 ceremonies will begin at 10:45 a.m. with a flag-raising ceremony in front of the VFW on Sheyenne Street. North Dakota VFW Commander Emery Fisher will deliver the keynote speech. The West Fargo High School band will provide patriotic music and the program will conclude with a 21-gun salute by the VFW Honor Guard. A stew dinner will be served from 4 to 6:30 p.m. followed by a performance from the Red River Valley Veterans Concert Band at 7 p.m.
• Events at the Moorhead American Legion will include Merle’s stew at 11 a.m., a performance by the Park Christian School choir at noon, a 1 p.m. meat raffle and a performance by the Red River Valley Veterans Concert Band at 3:30 p.m.
• Mulligan stew will be served at 4 p.m. at the Dilworth VFW.
• The Harwood (N.D.) American Legion will open at 4 p.m. Stew will be served thereafter.
• Bethany Retirement Living will sponsor a program at 10 a.m. at Bethany on University and at 1:30 p.m. at Bethany on 42nd. Tracy Briggs will speak at both programs about the Honor Flight program, which offers trips for area veterans to the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. Both events are open to the public. For more information, call Maren Johnson at (701) 239-3246.
• The Fargo Moorhead Area Music Club will present its annual Tribute to Veterans at 7 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, 650 2nd Ave. N., Fargo. This event, featuring patriotic and American music, is free and open to the public.
• The annual God Bless America program will be held at 7 p.m. in the Kindred (N.D.) Elementary School gymnasium. Third- and fourth-grade students will perform a musical tribute. Refreshments will be served.
• A public reception to honor NDSU veterans is scheduled at 1:15 p.m. in the Memorial Union Prairie Rose room.
• The Park Christian High School choir and band will perform at the following times and locations: 8:05 to 9 p.m. in the school gymnasium; 10 a.m. chapel service at Elim Care, 3534 S. University Drive, Fargo; noon, Moorhead American Legion, 303 30th St. N.; 1 p.m. in the cafeteria at Eventide at Fairmont, 801 2nd Ave. N., Moorhead; 2 p.m. in the dining room of the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 2101 Elm St. N., Fargo.