Family of Breckenridge fire thankful to be aliveBreckenridge, MN (WDAY TV) - Firefighters could not save the home but the family says there is a silver lining: the entire family is safe.
Breckenridge, MN (WDAY TV) - Firefighters could not save the home but the family says there is a silver lining: the entire family is safe.
Before they could wipe the sleep out of their eyes the Comeau's world was going up in smoke.
Laura Comeau: "I woke up to crackling and I walked out and right around the window frame there was flames."
Laura Comeau had fallen asleep on the couch - instead of her bed, upstairs.
Comeau: "I don't know that we would have got out."
It's that stroke of luck she believes allowed her to help save her family.
Comeau: "Banging on her window. Courtney you got to get out, you got to get out."
In the daylight - what remains is all the more heartbreaking.
At first glance it's hard to tell how extensive the damage is. These windows are more like mirrors - they're so sooted over.
Shattered windows - charred door frames and scattered ashes.
Comeau: "Overwhelming, one word, overwhelming."
Their mutterings of the words miracle and blessings would seem to be out of place.
Comeau: "I've thanked God so many times this morning because there are so many miracles."
Like a saved burnt Bible sitting near the windowsill. With money saved up to help cover the next few months of bills.
Comeau: "Won't be able to read out of them anymore, but he opened it up and the money was still there."
Including the warmth and comfort of neighbors.
Comeau: "We've got great neighbors, they're walking around putting money in our hands. So many people have already stepped up, it's amazing."
The Comeaus say they smoke on their back porch and smelled smoke earlier in the evening, but assumed it was a neighbor burning wood. Now, they believe it may have been a cigarette butt.
For the time being, the family is staying in a hotel.