House fire in Breckenridge displaces family of fiveFargo, ND (WDAY TV) - An early morning house fire in Breckenridge displaces a family of five.
By: WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY
Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - An early morning house fire in Breckenridge displaces a family of five.
While patrolling just before 4a.m. this morning, a Police Officer smelled smoke.
The officer, along with a good samaritan, realized the home at 831 11th Street North was on fire.
They both raced to awaken the family and alert firefighters. Within minutes crews were on scene.
The police chief says the situation could have been much worse.
Chief Nate Harder, Breckenridge Police Department: "Neighbors looking out for neighbors. This lady alertly noticed the fire, went and took it upon herself to find the fire. She also took it upon herself to notify these people."
The Red Cross is assisting the family and has put them up in a hotel. Fire officials believe a cigarette butt on the back porch ignited the fire.