INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published October 23, 2013, 09:59 AM

Fire totals Breckenridge home, family unharmed

BRECKENRIDGE, Minn. – Fire destroyed a home here early Wednesday, displacing a family of five.

By: Forum News Service, INFORUM, Forum News Service

BRECKENRIDGE, Minn. – Fire destroyed a home here early Wednesday, displacing a family of five.

Smoke alarms were working and the family was able to escape the blaze unharmed.

The Dakotas Region of the American Red Cross is providing assistance to two adults, three children and a dog.

Breckenridge Fire Chief Brian Conzemius identified the family as the Alan Comeau family of 831 11th St. N., in Breckenridge.

He said the home was a total loss.

The fire, which was reported about 4 a.m., may have started on the home’s porch and firefighters suspect cigarettes were to blame, according to Conzemius.

The Red Cross is providing shelter for the family in a hotel, as well as clothing and food.

It was the fourth house fire the Red Cross has responded to in its Minn-Kota territory since Oct. 17 and the agency stressed that working smoke alarms are critical in saving lives.

The cause of the latest fire was not available Wednesday morning.

Tags: