Little boy who bit into the Tide pod is heading homeFargo, ND (WDAY TV) - The one year old Minnesota boy, life-flighted to Fargo after biting into a Tide detergent packet, is home tonight and out of the hospital.
By: Drew Trafton, WDAY
Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - The one year old Minnesota boy, life-flighted to Fargo after biting into a Tide detergent packet, is home tonight and out of the hospital.
Late Thursday morning a very playful and curious Alex Rohde was marched out the doors with balloons and flowers, gifts his family say should have marked his first birthday instead of a fight for his life.
Fourteen days ago, one year old Alex Rohde would have likely taken these steps on his own.
Michelle Kleinshchmidt - Alex Rohde's Mother: "He was walking all over. But now, he's got to get that strength back."
Doctors haven't said if little Alex is completely in the clear after the poisoning, but aside from respiratory issues and general fatigue, it's hard to tell the difference between Alex and any other one-year-old, right down to his curiosity.
"What do you think of that microphone?"
And that's why Rohde's family says the battleground has shifted.
Marsha Geray- Alex Rohde's Aunt: "I think it was the words from the trauma team when they brought Alex in. They told me right away that, he pulled up on the computer the ingredients of the Tide Pods and said,' there's horrible things in there.'"
Geray's online petition on change.org, demands more protective packaging, less harmful chemicals and a larger warning label on Tide products.
Although her petition has a few more than 100 supporters, there are two more petitions on the website with tens of thousands of supporters demanding a change.
Each petition shares the exact same goal.
Geray: "We didn't start the petition or any of this because we wanted people to blame them or make them feel worse, or sympathy even. We just don't want it to happen to anybody else." >
Alex's family is now preparing to throw him the first birthday party he missed two weeks ago Sunday.
Alex's mom told me today that they're going to have to make room for a few more party guests however-as they're inviting a few folks from the medical staff that saved Alex's life.