WDAY: The News Leader

Published October 07, 2013, 06:31 PM

Crowds pack into Windbreak causing security issues

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - Three events over the weekend all brought huge crowds.

By: Kay Cooley, WDAY

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - Three events over the weekend all brought huge crowds.

There was the Bison Game, the Florida Georgia line concert and "Tripwire" playing at the Windbreak.

Some Windbreak customers say overcrowding there got out of control.

Outside the Windbreak on Saturday, rain was pouring down and people were lined up outside, all hoping to see Tripwire take the stage, but if you tried to get inside the doors late Saturday night, a mob of people blocked your way.

Shiloe Blair- Crowded Bar Customer: “It was getting really packed.”

What started as an annual celebration...

Blair: “We went out for my birthday; brought a bunch of people there. The night was going pretty good. We wanted to see the band.”

…turned into a night Shiloe Blair will never forget.

Blair: “There had to have been 40 people crammed into that bathroom area; the entry area.”

Shiloe and her friends showed up early to see Tripwire perform and were interrupted by chaotic crowds around 11...

So much so, they were separated; some not allowed back in, and others not able to get out.

Blair: “I mean, if people were standing there, you couldn't even breathe.”

Chad Klimek- Windbreak Owner: “It was a problem.”

People packed into the entrance right when the band reached intermission. The Florida Georgia Line concert ended and a downpour outside started all at once.

Klimek: “This has never happened. We've been busier than this. We are busy on the weekends. It was just a matter of timing.”

One of Shiloe's friends even got hurt when a fight broke out with a bouncer.

Blair: "I don't think he meant to. I think they were just overwhelmed. Another friend unfortunately was elbowed in the face by one of the bouncers. It was just a bad situation."

Klimek: "They were new. Things could've been handled a little bit better. Overall, it was a tough situation.

Bar employees have sent out apologies and coupons… But as for Shiloe, she says they won't be going back.

Shiloe: “It got out of hand and I don't think they really knew how to control it, unfortunately.”

Klimek: “We've never had that happen, and it will never happen again.”

Fargo police and fire departments say they are looking into the incident.

Owners say although the entrance was packed, the actual bar area was still under max capacity.

They invite anyone who had an issue to contact them.