Garage fire in AudubonAudubon, MN (WDAY TV) - An Audubon area man is in the hospital with severe burns after flames nearly destroyed his family's home.
By: Kay Cooley, WDAY
Audubon, MN (WDAY TV) - An Audubon area man is in the hospital with severe burns after flames nearly destroyed his family's home.
Fire broke out in the Kalberer family's garage late last night.
Dale Moore- Neighbor: “A little neighborhood out here; we're all a close family."
It was around 9:30 Wednesday night when Dale Moore rushed outside to help the family living right next door.
Their home and garage then separated from his, by a wall of flames.
Moore: "Their shop was on fire, and (they) thought it might spread."
Darcy Savig- Audubon Fire Chief: "By the time we were in route, they were calling, and it was fully engulfed."
Through the ash and charred remains, you can still make out the garage, where the family's 21-year-old son had been busy working.
Savig: “The way it sounds is they spilled some gas, and he went to unplug a tool or a battery charger, and that spark caused an explosion.”
After the fire started, a nurse living nearby came to help the family's son, Aaron Kalberer, and neighbors say he's now at a Hennepin County Burn Center for treatment.
Moore: “(We) got him ready for when the ambulance came, and then we tried housing down as much as we could before it got out of hand."
Firefighters were able to put out the blaze before it spread, but crews worried a nearby propane tank could cause another explosion.
Savig: “We had to sit and wait and watch that; babysit it basically all night long. My guys were there until 7:30 this morning.”
Dale Moore sitting up with them, thanking God that only the garage, a few parked vehicles, and siding of surrounding buildings were the only things lost.
Moore: “Just tired and thankful for all the prayers that Aaron is going to be okay."
Doctors at the Hennepin County Burn Center say Aaron is in "serious condition" and on Twitter, friends and family wrote he needs grafting.