Flames destroy south Fargo homeFargo, ND (WDAY TV) - A couple of homeowners in south Fargo escaped after an explosion and fire at their home this afternoon.
Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - Firefighters remain on the scene tonight of a fire that destroyed a South Fargo home this afternoon.
It burned so hot, it melted the siding on surrounding homes.
Now, the family who lived in the home is left with nothing. But they are okay.
It was an explosion that woke the couple who lost their home. And before they knew it, their house was up in flames. For more than an hour, crews battled the blaze.
But despite the tragic loss, this story does have a happy ending.
With the weekend on the way and summer winding down, Josh Miller was just beginning his relaxing getaway.
Josh Miller- Witness:“We heard a pop go off, like some kind of a small explosion.”
But just a half-hour into his vacation
Miller: “It was in the yellow house right there."
His plans quickly went up in smoke.
Norman Scott- Fargo Fire Marshall: "It look like it may have started in the deck area behind the house."
Five engines raced to house 1836 56th Ave. South in Fargo. With even more aid on the way.
Bob Anderson was at work when he got the call.
Bob Anderson- Daughter's Home Burned"It was my wife that called and said that the house was burning. That their house was burning down."
That's the first time he learned his daughters home was gone.
Anderson: "All the kids are in school so and everyone is out safe."
Except one friend.
Miller: "It was big. I mean, it was to the point where we knew there was nothing we could do about it. Ya know, there wasn't anything we could do. Like splash some water on it. It was definitely a ‘let's get the heck out of here’ kind of situation."
Firefighters fought to save this miniature pincher for over an hour.
Amazingly enough, he was rescued and returned. For Josh, he's hoping for the same happy ending. With or more relaxing twist.
Miller: “Hopefully there won't be any more fires involved."
Crews still aren't sure what sparked the fire, but damage is estimated at $150,000. Fargo fire plans to keep watch on the home overnight.
Meanwhile, the family is staying with relatives.