INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published July 20, 2013, 06:08 PM

Two local apartments are uninhabitable after a fire

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV)-- Two apartments are uninhabitable after an unattended candle may have started a fire around five this morning.

By: WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV)-- Two apartments are uninhabitable after an unattended candle may have started a fire around five this morning.

The fire started in a third floor apartment at 119 8th street South in Fargo.

Two cats inside died, but the owners were not home at the time.

The apartment suffered significant fire and smoke damage, and the apartment below also sustained fire, smoke, and water damage.

Authorities say candles should never be left burning, even if they are in a container.

Assistant Chief Leroy Skarloken- Fargo Fire Department: "Usually the containment is glass or some sort of ceramic. If it burns down enough, that can break. The heat of it can break the glass container, and then the wax can go down onto other combustibles."

Damage is estimated at 40,000 dollars.

Tags: