Lightning starts a house on fire in MoorheadMoorhead, MN (WDAY TV) -- Lightning is to blame for a fire that caused extensive damage to a house north of Moorhead last night.
By: WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY
Moorhead, MN (WDAY TV) -- Lightning is to blame for a fire that caused extensive damage to a house north of Moorhead last night.
It happened at 7055 9th Street North around 9:45. The homeowner heard a loud bang, then 30 seconds later saw and smelled smoke. The family escaped.
The homeowner tried to put out the flames in the basement but fled when he heard ammunition in a nearby room go off. Firefighters ran into problems because there were no nearby fire hydrants.
Mark Empting, Dilworth interim fire chief, says, "once we got here we were able to confirm that it was possibly a lightning strike just due to the fact that you could not only see it on the roof but there's several shingle pieces throughout the front yard and then there's an area on the side of the house where you could see where maybe the lightning had blown out a dryer vent."
Crews from Moorhead, Sabin, and Glyndon put out the fire.