INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published June 16, 2013, 09:40 PM

A Finley family vows to never leave batteries lying around again

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV)-- The smaller the gadget the more attracted most of us are to it. And that means the batteries are getting smaller and smaller.

By: Kayla Strayer, WDAZ, WDAY

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV)-- The smaller the gadget the more attracted most of us are to it. And that means the batteries are getting smaller and smaller.

And that can be attracting to children.

Katia Ehmer is a healthy four year old today, but just a few weeks ago her life was in danger.

Tom Ehmer- Katia's Father: "I was doing something and saw out of the corner of my eye and saw the scared look on her face."

Raquel Ehmer- Mother: "She came to me and she was choking, you know panicking because she couldn't breathe."

Katia's mom Raquel started patting her on the back.

Raquel: "Then she swallowed and could talk again."

Katia told her parents she swallowed a battery, so they called the hospital for help.

Raquel: "They told us we needed to come in right away because it was a dangerous situation."

These button batteries are similar to the one Katia swallowed. They're only about the size of a coin, but can cause serious harm.

Carma Hanson- Safe Kids Grand Forks: "They cause a reaction within the stomach and the stomach lining can be eaten away and burn holes in the stomach in the intestines."

Tom: "We never had an idea that it was that severe."

Carma: "From the time it's swallowed you have about two to three hours before there can be major problems that are caused. Children have even died from this."

Raquel: "It had to be removed immediately. It's not something you can wait on."

Fortunately, doctors were able to remove the battery without having to operate. And there's been no lasting effects.

Raquel: "She's been fine, I mean the very next day she was herself again."

Katia's dad Tom says he's thankful his daughter was able to tell them what she had swallowed.

Tom: "She could talk so that was a good thing. She could tell us. Some other people might not be that fortunate."

Carma: "If you're not sure if it's a button battery versus a coin that's been swallowed, it's best to get to the ER. They can actually see the numbers and the writing on the battery on the x ray and they can ascertain whether it's a coin or a battery, and then what medical action they need to take."

More info and tips can be found online at "thebatterycontrolled.com"

Tags: