INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published June 14, 2013, 04:33 PM

Local firefighters are urging smokers to be careful

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV)-- Moorhead firefighters are again urging smokers to be more careful when discarding cigarettes.

By: WDAY, WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV)-- Moorhead firefighters are again urging smokers to be more careful when discarding cigarettes.

A cigarette put out in a potted plant on an apartment deck lit the container on fire this morning.

The deck was damaged, but the residents quickly discovered the fire, preventing it from spreading.

Potting soil is a flammable material.

Captain Dave Allen- Moorhead Fire Department: "Remember if you're smoking to discard your cigarettes in a safe, approved container, not a plastic container. A container with true dirt would be ideal, not compost."

The metal siding on the apartment also helped prevent the fire from spreading.

Tags: