INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published March 21, 2013, 09:46 PM

Flood forcing homeowners to make tough decision

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - The dramatic rise in river levels has some homeowners facing a dilemma: Accept a city buyout or keep spending money fighting floods?

By: Kay Cooley, WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - The dramatic rise in river levels has some homeowners facing a dilemma: Accept a city buyout or keep spending money fighting floods?

This year, Fargo city commissioners have approved buyouts of up to 56 homes giving all of the homeowners offers of 110 percent of the house's assessed value.

But even with the serious threat of another flood fight, some say they wouldn't take a million dollars to move away from the home they've built.

John Stern, Not Accepting Buyout Offer: "Where are you going to find the beauty like this."

John Stern and his wife Sherri have made their home at this riverside property for nearly 30 years.

Many of which have brought serious flood fights, threatening to tear down their walls.

Sherri Stern, Not Accepting Buyout Offer: "There was a point I was very concerned we were going to lose it."

John: "This will be our sixth or seventh flood since we've lived in the house and we kind of know what to do and what's required and we're getting pretty good at it.”

The couple's neighborhood has spent time and money building protection in their own backyards but about half have opted for buyouts.

Two vacant lots next to their home showing signs of families leaving for more permanent protection. But for John and Sherri, accepting the buyout was never even considered.

Sherri: "Really not at all, until I need someone to care for me, I will be here."

John: "This is a very special house."

For other families further south, the city buyouts seem like perfect solutions.

Tom Moberg, Will Accept Buyout Offer: "We think they're very fair, it seems like the right thing to do."

The one problem, the Moberg family's offer is still months down the road.

Moberg: "We'll be in the last group getting a letter in October."

Meaning another potential flood still standing in the way.

Moberg: "Well I would've rather not done another one, but I don't think we're worried. I think we're just tired of it."

Now both families say they're hoping the snow melts slowly and the rains hold off but they're thankful for the close knit community that's willing to rally around them, to help fight for their homes.

Tags: