WDAY: The News Leader

Published March 07, 2013, 06:02 PM

Two arrested, more details emerge about Moorhead shooting

Moorhead, MN (WDAY TV) - We begin with new developments in connection with a shooting in Moorhead that left an MSUM student hospitalized.

By: Kay Cooley, WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY

Moorhead, MN (WDAY TV) - We begin with new developments in connection with a shooting in Moorhead that left an MSUM student hospitalized.

The SWAT team arrested two men in connection with the shooting after a search of a Fargo apartment and Moorhead police today tell us they found two pounds of marijuana and almost $11,000 in the victim's home during their investigation.

Police arrested 23-year-old Michael Crittenden of Moorhead and 19-year-old Tyshawn Darden of Fargo.

Darden is held first degree attempted murder charges while Crittenden is in custody on drug related charges, with additional charges possible.

The arrests come after the Red River Valley SWAT team and both Fargo and Moorhead police arrived at 2905 7th Avenue North in Fargo around 10:45 this morning where they found Darden.

A car matching the description from Moorhead police was also at the apartment and searched.

Lt. Joel Vettel, Fargo Police: “We were executing a search warrant as a result of evidence and information that they had that possible evidence of the crime that occurred in their city was at that residence. That includes people and possibly other evidence related to the crime.”

Police say the victim, Anthony Sands, could eventually face drug related charges in connection with the two pounds of marijuana in his apartment.

Friends and roommates of Sands tell us he's still in the hospital, but should make a full recovery.

Anthony's friends are still shocked after the Wednesday shooting in Moorhead but happy one of the suspects was found here in Fargo and the other is now behind bars.

I talked with a roommate who could not go on camera because he says Moorhead police asked him not to talk to media but he was home when the shooting happened and was scared.

Another close friend showed up just minutes after the shots were fired.

Tara Olson, Close Friend of Victim: "It's sad, it's heartbreaking, it's very sad."

Tara Olson pulled up to 1107 17th Street South in Moorhead to a sight she never imagined.

Olson: "He comes running out of his house, he has a towel on the front of him and on the back, and I seen blood everywhere and I just was in shock."

Tara says Anthony Sands, a former football player and current student at MSUM, is like a brother to her.

"Someone came in the house and shot him and then someone else said that they got shot in the house.”

With bullet holes through the door, Police on scene for hours, and drugs and cash seized from inside, the questions are piling up.

Olson: "They're good kids. It just happened they got caught up with something and they won't tell us what."

She does know Sands received gunshot wounds in his stomach and arm and is still hospitalized after surgery.

"He's going through recovery and they're trying to see if his stomach is going to be fine because it just went through him and came out the other side."

A violent act, completely unexpected.

"I bawled my eyes out when it happened because he does not deserve it because he's a very, very nice guy."

And despite the shooting, Tara is thankful Sands came out with only injuries.

Olson: "I'm glad it didn't take his life, that's all I'm happy for right now."

Now police are still trying to locate a third suspect who they believe to be involved. Anyone with more information is asked to call the Moorhead Police Department.