INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published February 15, 2013, 10:42 AM

Space heater suspected as cause of north Fargo house fire

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - A north Fargo home is damaged by smoke and flames after a fire early this morning. The home had several space heaters, extension cords, and flammable materials, and no working smoke detector.

By: WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - A north Fargo home is damaged by smoke and flames after a fire early this morning. The home had several space heaters, extension cords, and flammable materials, and no working smoke detector.

A neighbor reported the fire around 5:30 this morning. No one was in the home at the time. The fire is still under investigation, but the department pointed to several space heaters and extension cords throughout the house as a potential cause.

Firefighters spent the morning carrying bag after bag of charred newspaper and other debris out of the home. They had a difficult time maneuvering inside because of a large amount of furniture and other materials.

Captain Tim Binfet – Fargo Fire Department: "It makes everything harder to get through to gain access to the house. It contributes to the fire spread. It can make the fire much larger in a much shorter amount of time; if there's enough paper, cardboards, and combustibles that could spread very quickly."

The staircase and second floor suffered fire damage, and the rest of the home has significant smoke damage.

Tags: