INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published December 20, 2012, 09:04 PM

A reminder to not overload your outlets this holiday season

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) -- Last year, holiday fires killed two people and caused nearly 3 million dollars in damage, just in Minnesota alone. Today, fire officials are sending out a warning to keep your home safe.

By: Andrea Hubbel, WDAY, WDAY

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) -- Last year, holiday fires killed two people and caused nearly 3 million dollars in damage, just in Minnesota alone. Today, fire officials are sending out a warning to keep your home safe.

Linda Hinton: "I love the shimmering tree"

From an outside view..

Hinton: "I love Christmas it's my favorite time of the year and I love to decorate."

You could call it...the ultimate Christmas.

Hinton: "my husband claims that our electric bill that the meter will get a speeding ticket."

Look a little closer and this decorating guru will tell you..

Hinton: "I have to draw the line, sometimes I have to say this is the extent of my decorating."

Yeah, Linda Hinton loves to decorate.

Hinton: "My tree is plugged into a plug-in that goes under the sofa and i have a switch over there."

But with so many lights and not enough outlets, there must be a strategy.

Hinton: "My husband helps me, we have it set on a timer and he, I get everything set up and he pretty much takes care of getting the plug-ins ready."

A string of preventative measures keeping her tradition from really lighting up.

A warning, this holiday, to prevent things like this. Three years ago this house went up in smoke starting here, in the fireplace. It took down their Christmas tree and caused a lot of damage.

Matt Nelson/Fargo Fire Dept.: "fires can get very dangerous very quickly and as soon as they start they start creating byproducts of combustion like carbon monoxide. "

And with the holiday break right around the corner.

Nelson: "make sure you unplug all of your appliances when you leave."

Linda knows all too well.

Hinton: "heartbreaking"

When her family simply forgot.

Hinton: "it burned down, and they had a two story the 14 year old was up stairs, the boys got out but she didn't"

So check once and check again.

Hinton: "it's sad when you see all the fires that do happen around town and you wonder if they could have been prevented."

The Fargo Fire Department says never double up on power strips. But if you do have a lot of lights, your best bet is something with a secondary circuit to prevent a fire.

Tags: