INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published August 06, 2012, 10:00 PM

Propane tank leads to explosion, fire at Moorhead home

MOORHEAD, Minn. (WDAY TV) - A Moorhead man says a grill is likely to blame for a fire that did significant damage to his Moorhead home Monday night.

MOORHEAD, Minn. (WDAY TV) - A Moorhead man says a grill is likely to blame for a fire that did significant damage to his Moorhead home Monday night.

His pregnant wife and their two kids who were home were able to get out safely.

There were some tense moments at 212 11th street south in Moorhead at about 6:15. Jamie Woodward says his wife was cooking steaks on a gas grill on a patio. She went inside and heard a boom, likely the propane tank. She came back out to find the grill and patio on fire.

Jamie says his wife grabbed their two children and the dog and got out of the house and called 911. All are OK.

Fire fighters arrived to fire rolling out the back of the house.

Jamie Woodward - Homeowner: “She'd heard a boom and opened up the door and saw that the outside was engulfed in flames, closed the door heard a secondary boom, grabbed the kids and left the house.

Captain Benton Hicks - Moorhead Fire Department: “Looks like it was in a patio area that it went up, got up in the attic area so we put crews on the inside once we had it knocked down on the outside and put it out.”

Jamie Woodward: “We've been through worse and we'll be fine. Kids are fine, she's fine. She's with baby, baby's fine.”

Woodward says he feels lucky his family is all safe and sound. They're getting help from the Salvation Army.

Damage is estimated at $75,000 and the cause was accidental.

Tags: