Man accused in Moorhead shooting to plead guilty next weekMOORHEAD – A man accused of opening fire in a Moorhead trailer park at the driver of a vehicle who nearly hit his car plans to change his plea next week in Clay County District Court.
By: Mike Nowatzki, INFORUM, Forum staff reports, INFORUM
MOORHEAD – A man accused of opening fire in a Moorhead trailer park at the driver of a vehicle who nearly hit his car plans to change his plea next week in Clay County District Court.
Geraldo Torres, 24, previously pleaded not guilty to charges of first- and second-degree attempted murder, first-degree attempted assault and three other felonies.
His trial was slated to start Tuesday, but it’s been canceled and a plea hearing is now set for July 30.
The shooting happened April 27, 2011, in the Regal Estates trailer park in north Moorhead. Torres was arrested Dec. 13 when U.S. Marshals tracked him to his mother’s home in Lubbock, Texas.
According to court records, the alleged victim told police he had been at the intersection of 12th Street and 20th Avenue South when he cut off a tan Buick driven by Torres, or the Buick cut him off.
He said both vehicles pulled into a parking lot, and a passenger in the Buick got out and punched him in the face several times. He said Torres also hit his windshield with a metal object, court records show.
The alleged victim, whose name isn’t listed in court records, told police he followed Torres and the other man back to the trailer park, and when Torres saw him parked at the end of the street, he walked toward him and fired four shots at him. Police claim Torres’ girlfriend also admitted to a detective that she saw Torres fire three or four times at the alleged victim, court records show.
One shot hit the passenger side of the alleged victim’s car, and another hit a trailer occupied by two adults and two children, the complaint states.