Two Central Valley Seniors will have to wait to find out if they have a place to play football next yearValley City, ND (WDAY TV) - Two seniors at Central Valley will have to wait a little bit longer to find out if they have a place to play football next year.
Two seniors at Central Valley will have to wait a little bit longer to find out if they have a place to play football next year. The appeal to let the duo play at Hillsboro next fall was heard by the Activities Association today.
It was tabled, in order to first closer examine the football co-op situation as a whole. Currently, football is the only sport in North Dakota where co-ops are considered every two years and that, in large part, is why this situation has occurred in the first place.
Today's decision by the board to allow the football committee to explore the possibility of creating co-ops on a yearly basis rather than the existing 2 years, means there's still a chance the 2 Central Valley seniors will play for Hillsboro this fall.
Randy Vigen – Central Valley Athletic Director: “As we leave here today I think they'll be happy to know there at least wasn't a "no" decision made and the hopes of them still being able to play in the fall of '12 is still there...The board is there to make tough decisions. Especially with the football plan being every 2 years, the football committee of the board will come up with a plan that I think's gonna go through.”
Peter Moe – Chairman Football Committee (Washburn): “A window here that we might be able to get those kids to play. It's something that'll take some discussion with the football committee, then make a recommendation to the board. I think if we can do that before the end of the month, it'll be enough time.”
Todd Olson – Board Member (Grand Forks): “When you have stuff like this come up, you think why can't we treat football more similarly to the other sports we offer. Going forward, it's going to be a bigger issue as other schools aren't able to offer football due to their declining enrollments. I think there's a hesitancy on the board to set a precedent. So if it's gonna be good policy for one school, we're gonna try to make it good policy for every other school that may run into this situation.”
If they agree to, the board can revisit the Central Valley issue, but with many board positions changing on July 2nd, they want to rule on the issue by the end of the month.