INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published June 05, 2012, 10:16 PM

Flammable sunscreens may pose grilling danger

Fargo-Moorhead (WDAY TV) - Bonfires and cookouts, some of our favorite summer past times can create a fireball of danger if we're not careful. Even products that seem otherwise harmless could land you in the hospital if used next to an open flame.

Fargo-Moorhead (WDAY TV) - Bonfires and cookouts, some of our favorite summer past times can create a fireball of danger if we're not careful. Even products that seem otherwise harmless could land you in the hospital if used next to an open flame.

Today, the Fargo Fire Department showed us how some simple mistakes could cost you your life.

Matt Nelson – Fargo Fire Department: “This is what would happen if gasoline was poured into a cup and you were holding it next to the grill.”

Imagine if that cup was your hand. It seems like common sense, don't put gas on an open flame, but it's a call the Fargo Fire Department is all too familiar with.

Matt Nelson: “We've seen just about every type of emergency pertaining to grills, so definitely not gasoline, and as soon as the charcoal is hot, don't put any more lighter fluid on it.”

Another danger is sunscreen. The warning begins with a Massachusetts man who suffered 2nd degree burns all over his body after applying Banana Boat Sunscreen and walking over to his grill. We decided to put this to the test.

Bill Schammert: "Since I didn't want to burn my own skin, what we've done is wrapped a bunch of paper towels on the end of a stick and soaked those paper towels in the Banana Boat Sunscreen. Now we're going to show you what happens we stick the end of this stick over an open flame. You can see the paper towels ignite right away, just imagine if this was part of your body."

Matt Nelson: “Let it dry first, and don't use it around any open flame, especially grills or campfires. It's just best to stay away if they do have flammable gasses in them.”

Of course always remember to turn the propane off when you're done grilling. Propane can build up when your lid is closed and cause your grill top to literally explode off if ignited.

Tags: