Mother's Day fire in Moorhead leaves a family thankful to be togetherMoorhead, MN (WDAY TV) -- A Moorhead man is being called a Mothers Day hero, after saving his family from a burning apartment complex today.
By: Todd Kurtz, WDAY
Moorhead, MN (WDAY TV) -- A Moorhead man is being called a Mothers Day hero, after saving his family from a burning apartment complex today.
One person was taken away in an ambulance and crews from Fargo had to come assist, as the North Moorhead building had flames shooting out of it.
Paul Deeds and his girlfriend Polly Ruiz's Mothers Day took a quick turn,
they were relaxing at home with their 3 children when fire alarms started blasting and smoke filled their building.
Paul: "And the smoke was just coming really bad into our house."
Deeds says they could have been trapped had they lived on the next floor up, but he was able to jump from his balcony and get his family out of the burning building.
Paul: "We just kind of panicked, and I did whatever I could for my family to get them out, you know it is Mothers Day and it is kind of hard to put my kids over the balcony, and my pregnant girlfriend."
Firefighter did pull one man from the burning building, he was carted into an ambulance and taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
" No, no burns"
Officials say the fire started on the same floor the Deeds' live, and then spread to the top floor and eventually into the attic.
Ryan Muchow/Moorhead Fire Department: "Apartments are always difficult because, with closed doors, and you get into the hallways and it is black smoke, so our crew wasn't able to see once they got up to the second floor hallway, so we have to direct them which way to go."
Standing in a cloud of smoke, Deeds and his family watch firefighters battle the blaze, think about their neighbor they saw hauled away, and can only be thankful because today could have been much worse for their family.
Paul: "Today is Mothers Day you know and we just thank god that we are together."
The man pulled from the building was the only one injured today, he was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Firefighters say multiple apartment and likely the roof are destroyed.