INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published April 18, 2012, 11:46 AM

Fire and Hazmat crews respond to acid spill

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - People are back to work at Marque Dental Lab after Hazmat crews spent hours cleaning up an accidental acid spill. The good news is the chemical in the South Fargo spill wasn't as dangerous as they first thought.

People are back to work at Marque Dental Lab after Hazmat crews spent hours cleaning up an accidental acid spill. The good news is the chemical in the South Fargo spill wasn't as dangerous as they first thought.

The Fargo Fire Department says around 9 this morning at this dental lab, about a half-gallon of hydrochloric acid was spilled all over the floor.

Matt Nelson – Fargo Fire Department: "If you get it into your lungs or onto your skin it can cause a chemical burn or severe respiratory damage depending on the concentrations."

When the Fargo Fire Department arrived at Marque Dental Laboratory, just off of 13th Avenue South, and 23rd Street, they thought the spill could be hydrofluoric acid, forcing firefighters to wear full protection hazmat suits.

It turns out it was the more commonly known hydrochloric acid. Right after the spill workers quickly doused it with baking soda, and called 9-1-1 quickly after fumes erupted.

Matt Nelson: "That's how we would neutralize the acid, with baking soda, then we would clean it up and soak up all the material with floor dry, it's basically like a kitty litter substance we could clean the floor with."

The entire building was evacuated, and there are no injuries. The spill took about 3 hours to clean up. Marque Dental Laboratory will not say what the hydrochloric acid was being used for. It is known as a common industrial cleaner.

Tags: