INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published February 13, 2012, 10:07 PM

Presidential budgets includes millions less than requested for diversion project

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - There is $25 million less in President Obama's 2013 budget than requested for the Red River Diversion Project.

There is $25 million less in President Obama's 2013 budget than requested for the Red River Diversion Project.

President Obama approved $5 million to go towards the diversion project. $30 million was requested. The funding requested and the funding approved will be going towards the design phase of the project.

Even though the amount approved is less than requested the project will continue and move forward. Mayor Dennis Walaker says the city will now just have to evaluate some strategies and set some new priorities.

Mayor Dennis Walaker – Fargo: “I was somewhat disappointed, but still being there is a big deal, I mean we were there last year with about 11 and we had requested 12, and now, but things are tight. It is a very, very difficult process, to still be there, you know, that's good news.”

Walaker says it's a very positive thing to be even included in the president’s budget. He also points out that the diversion project is one of the highest funded projects in the country.

Tags: