Moorhead man nearly sets home on fire while trying to defrost pipes with propane torchMoorhead, Minn. (WDAY TV) - A Moorhead man is lucky to still have his home after a fire this morning. It happened just before six on the 500 block of Highway 75 North.
By: WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY
Moorhead, Minn. (WDAY TV) - A Moorhead man is lucky to still have his home after a fire this morning. It happened just before six on the 500 block of Highway 75 North.
A man set fire to some two by fours in his bathroom wall while trying to defrost pipes with a propane torch. Fortunately, he had an extinguisher nearby and was able to put out the fire before it spread to the rest of the unit.
Five people were inside at the time including three children. No one was hurt. Firefighters say there are steps you can take to prevent your pipes from freezing in the first place.
JOE GAUGHAN - Moorhead Fire Department: “Other things they can use is heat tape and stuff like that to prevent this from happening or take a fan and blow warm air across it, it's a slower process but it does work as a preventative method as well.”
The family was not displaced, but the fire did cause about a thousand dollars worth of damage.