West Fargo family recounts harrowing escape from house fireWest Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - One of the survivors from the fire is a one year old baby girl. Tonight, her parents talk to WDAY about those frightening moments and the heroic efforts of the baby's father.
By: Kevin Wallevand, WDAY
Fire investigators believe a burning candle is to blame for a fire that has left a West Fargo family homeless. It happened at the Brookwood Mobile Home Park on the city's east side.
By the time firefighters arrived, 3 members of the family had managed to get out of the mobile home. Two were treated and released from Essentia for smoke inhalation. While it appears one smoke detector was working, another was not.
One of the survivors from the fire is a one year old baby girl. Tonight, her parents talk to WDAY about those frightening moments and the heroic efforts of the baby's father.
After being treated for smoke inhalation, little baby Vana Rae managed to gulp down a bottle of milk with her cookie, comforted by her parents Sarah and Desman Hartman.
Operating on no sleep, the baby's parents told us how the heavy smoke and sight of flames coming from the bathroom awakened them early this morning - moments before a smoke alarm went off.
Sara Hartman – Escaped Burning Home: “I was stuck; I couldn’t move past my door. I don’t know if it was fear, or if it is instinct not to run into a burning situation, but if it wasn't for Desman I am 100% positive I would not have been able to get the baby.”
Sarah screamed “Fire” and her husband ran from the bedroom for the baby's room.
Desman Harman – Rescued Baby Girl: “I can’t really even explain what happened. It is a blur just seeing it, ran in and swooped her up and got outside.”
Right now it appears one of the two detectors worked, and the couple says their experience should be a reminder to all that working smoke alarms do save lives.
Sarah Hartman: “I’m very, very, very happy and grateful.”
A deputy state fire marshal was also on scene to help West Fargo firefighters in the investigation.