The cause of a fire that forced dozens of families to evacuate their apartment isn't knownFargo, ND (WDAY TV) -- Thankfully, no one was hurt, but a cat is missing..
Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) -- Thankfully, no one was hurt, but a cat is missing..
Zach Schreiner woke up around noon. He went outside to have a cigarette then suddenly smelled smoke. Schreiner wasn't sure where it was coming from, but after a few hours he went out on to his porch and looked up.
Zach: “I went and looked outside and there was fire right above me the whole time.”
After realizing his apartment was on fire, Schreiner went outside to find his neighbors had already called for help.
Zach: “I was walking down stairs and right when I walked down the fire alarm was going off.”
Fire officials arrived to the apartment at 1820 40th street South to find heavy smoke. Once they got inside and cut through walls they discovered flames.
Dean Meyer (Asst. Chief of Fargo Fire Dept.): “Cut out pretty good size holes in the walls to get the fire out, but we pretty much got it knocked down.”
Assistant Fargo Fire Chief Dean Meyer says the blaze started on the third floor balcony and spread to the second floors ceiling, Schreiner's apartment. The entire building had to be evacuated, but there is good news.
Dean: “They won’t be a total loss or anything, the damage, the one apartment they wont be able to stay in for a little while until they get some repairs made.”
Schreiner won’t be able to stay in his apartment for a while until repairs are made.
Although he might lose some of his possessions, he's keeping an optimistic attitude about this unfortunate situation.
Zach: “Everything is bought, it can be bought again.”
While this may not be the best way to ring in the new year, both Schreiner and fire officials are just happy no one was hurt.
Zach: “It could be a lot worse, i mean i could have been in there sleeping while it was on fire.”
Damage is 20 thousand dollars.