INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published December 21, 2011, 11:48 AM

Firefighters demonstrate how quickly fire can spread from a Christmas Tree

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - Fargo Firefighters provided onlookers with a good reminder to all of us regarding Christmas trees and the risk of fire. Our trees dry out so quickly, and with over-loaded circuits and lighted candles everywhere, the risk for fire is great.

By: WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY

Fargo Firefighters provided onlookers with a good reminder to all of us regarding Christmas trees and the risk of fire. Our trees dry out so quickly, and with over-loaded circuits and lighted candles everywhere, the risk for fire is great.

After some newspaper caught on fire, it took less than 30 seconds for this Christmas tree to turn into a torch. Everything, including the ceiling, walls and nearby couch started on fire quickly as well. 250 home fires are caused by Christmas trees that dry out and catch fire quickly.

Matt Nelsen – Fargo Fire Department: “Want to remind people before going into Christmas that they should take a 2nd look at wiring and extension cords and make sure they are not underneath rugs and not overloaded, it always seems there is one outlet that is perfect to plug everything into.”

Firefighters say that after Christmas, a tree should be put outside or thrown away as soon as possible.

Tags: