INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published November 26, 2011, 04:10 PM

Mandan looks to overhaul airport runway

MANDAN, N.D. (AP) — The Mandan Municipal Airport Authority will overhaul its runway with a $4.25 million resurfacing project by the 2013 construction season, but it will mean at least a month-long closure to air traffic.

MANDAN, N.D. (AP) — The Mandan Municipal Airport Authority will overhaul its runway with a $4.25 million resurfacing project by the 2013 construction season, but it will mean at least a month-long closure to air traffic.

Airport manager Jim Lawler says the city has received a $230,000 Federal Aviation Administration grant to design the upgrades.

The Bismarck Tribune reports that about 95 percent of the construction cost will be paid through federal funds. The state and the city is expected to split the remaining 5 percent match.

The airport now has a 4,400-foot asphalt runway and a 2,900-foot unimproved gravel road for air operations.

The process is expected to take about six months.

Tags: