Quick thinking paramedic gives Moorhead cat a new lease on lifeMoorhead, MN (WDAY TV) - There is some bright news to come out of the Tuesday fire in Moorhead. While the family lost so much, one valuable member of the family, a cat, named Krispy, was saved thanks to a quick thinking paramedic with FM Ambulance, an oxygen tank and mask.
By: Kevin Wallevand, WDAY
There is some bright news to come out of the Tuesday fire in Moorhead. While the family lost so much, one valuable member of the family, a cat, named Krispy, was saved thanks to a quick thinking paramedic with FM Ambulance, an oxygen tank and mask.
Sondra Bergem is used to saving the lives of people on two legs. But at the overnight fire she did what any caring paramedic would do. She moved into action when a firefighter came carrying Krispy the cat, unresponsive, not breathing; victim of the fire.
Sondra Bergem – FM Ambulance Paramedic: “Hooked up the oxygen tank, oxygen flows out of here, and these are adjustable and I cinched it to his whole head and covered up his whole face.”
After bringing Krispy back to life, Sondra brought carried her to a grateful owner, still in shock from the fire. Today, fire victim and owner of the cat Tina Delbrune came to meet Paramedic Sondra Bergem, and Krispy came along too.
Tina Delbrune – Krispy’s Owner: She was found at the bottom of the stairway, limp. Completely limp.”
Looking like he just survived yet another one of her nine lives.
Tina Delbrune: “She immediately came to me and said, “We have found your cat, but it does not look good, but we will try,” and she did.”
She was, by the way, a rescue cat from the pound by the way.
Tina Delbrune: “I am so grateful and I cannot imagine telling my kids that their cat perished. It’s hard enough to lose everything.”
Sondra has spent the last dozen years saving human lives, but this is not the first time she saved the life of a pet. She did this 12 years ago as well. Sondra is quick to shrug off the accolades. She is just thankful no one in the house fire was injured, and that Krispy is doing so well after nearly dying in the fire.
Sondra Bergem: “I have cat myself and would want someone to do the same thing. I couldn’t just let him be”
Tina Delbrune: “It is a gift, everyone got out safe.”
The cat is doing just fine, and even survived a bath to wash out all the soot.