The 'unknowns' make synthetic drugs ordered online dangerous(WDAY TV) - A tragic mass overdose in Minnesota has experts in law enforcement and the medical community shaking their heads. A 19-year old man from Blaine died and two others were in critical condition after a group of teens tried a synthetic drug they ordered online. The danger of 2C-E and other "legal" on-line drugs comes down to the "unknowns."
By: Kevin Wallevand, WDAY
Friends say 19-year old Trevor Robinson was an ordinary kid, a new father. Now he's dead after he and a group of friends overdosed on a synthetic drug ordered on line called 2-C-E or Europa.
Europa is a white powder, designer drug, bought legally on the internet. The boys snorted and smoked it and all were hospitalized.
DR. DAVE GLATT - SANFORD PHYSICIAN: “The big danger is the unknown. You don't know what the strength of the chemicals are or what chemicals are in there to begin with.”
Just this week a young man called 911 reporting a rapid heart beat after taking a synthetic drug he bought online and Fargo Police say they received a recent 911 call from someone saying they were going to die from it calling it the worst experience of the their life.
GAYLE ZIEGLER - Sanford Pharmacist Coordinator: “You don't know what strength it is, if it has been cut with something else, or is it very potent and everyone will respond differently.”
Physicians say anyone who takes the synthetic drug could likely experience anxiety, rapid heart beat and hallucinations, dangerous warning signs that demand immediate medical attention.