INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published January 04, 2011, 12:13 AM

Duluth towers resident dies after fire

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) - An unattended cigarette apparently caused a fire that killed a man living in a Duluth high-rise.

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) - An unattended cigarette apparently caused a

fire that killed a man living in a Duluth high-rise.

Firefighters were called Saturday night to Tri Towers, a

14-story apartment building. They found smoke coming from a

13th-foor apartment, entered the unit and put out the fire.

A man who apparently was smoking a cigarette on a couch was

found badly burned. The Duluth News Tribune reports he was taken to

a Duluth hospital, then airlifted to Regions Hospital in St. Paul

but did not survive.

The victim's name has not been released.

The building is scheduled to go smoke-free in March.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Tags: