Classroom stove sparked Lidgerwood school fireLIDGERWOOD, N.D. (AP) — An unused stove in a classroom caused Tuesday's fire at the school in the southeast North Dakota town of Lidgerwood.
LIDGERWOOD, N.D. (AP) — An unused stove in a classroom caused Tuesday's fire at the school in the southeast North Dakota town of Lidgerwood.
Deputy Fire Marshal Jerry Crane tells The Forum that paper and other combustibles placed on the stovetop ignited when someone accidentally flipped on a breaker that operated the stove.
Crane says the fire has been ruled accidental and no charges are being considered.
The blaze that started about 5 p.m. Tuesday destroyed two classrooms and caused smoke damage throughout the building. A damage estimate was not available Friday.
The Forum says classes likely will resume Wednesday, with high school students attending Wyndmere Public School and grades K-8 being divided among facilities in Lidgerwood.
A regional volleyball tournament that was to be held at the school this week was moved to Lisbon.