WDAY: The News Leader

Published June 24, 2010, 07:54 AM

Insurance agents flooded with severe weather claims

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - The recent severe weather has homeowners getting much needed help from insurance companies to repair storm damage. Agents are getting flooded with calls for claims to be filed or questions on what's covered. All so the process of recovery can happen.

By: Travis Skonseng, WDAY

No surprise storm victims are starting the repair process, but what is shocking is the number of claims so far coming into insurance companies. As of tonight, at just American Family, 782 homeowners and 80 business owners in our area have filed claims. That's from only four days from June 17th to the 21st.

“I woke up and heard hail.”

South Fargo homeowner Jason Frueh (free) is dealing with the same dilemma many are seeing if their homes have storm damage. Frueh plans to have his insurance adjustor look over his house. No cost to him, it's already covered under his premium of about 900 dollars a year.

“Nobody likes to pay it.”

Frueh knows the ins and outs of homeowners insurance. Three years ago, hail damaged his properties. 6 claims filed with a 30 thousand dollar payout.

“Some of our claims made up for 10 years of premiums, just on one claim.”

“Could be anywhere from you know 5000 dollars. If a tornado comes through, you're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

Insurance Agent D-J Colter has been busy this summer. Hail, wind, tornado damage, he's seen it all.

“It's crazy right now what's going on.”

Most policies cover all storm related damage. The cost depends on the value of your home, the state you live in, and your community's population, anywhere from 50 to 125 dollars a month is average.

“You want a policy that has replacement costs.”

Those will make sure your property is replaced. Homes increase in value, unlike automobiles. A comfort for Frueh knowing he's not left footing the bill.

“You make up that premium in a hurry. Glad you had insurance.”

You should call your agent as soon as you suspect damage. An adjustor will then look over it, write a report, and if approved, you'll be paid. If it rains and floods your home, only flood insurance will cover that damage.