INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published November 09, 2009, 12:45 PM

Moorhead fire started by an over heated outlet

Moorhead, Minn. (WDAY TV) - A fire that injured a north Moorhead couple was caused by a lamp plug arcing inside the outlet. It got so hot it started a couch on fire.

By: WDAY Staff Reports, WDAY

Moorhead, Minn. (WDAY TV) - A fire that injured a north Moorhead couple was caused by a lamp plug arcing inside the outlet. It got so hot it started a couch on fire.

Family members say Norma and Lyle Erickson appear to be progressing well. The Fire Marshal says the fire was a freak accident, which may have been avoided if the couch wasn't so close to the overheating outlet.

“That's another thing people should keep in mind. If you have something pressed up against outlets, like a piece of furniture that can cause damage to the outlet so you want to make sure those things are pulled a way from the plug.”

New outlets must have a safety function that causes the circuit to break if overheating occurs.

The victim's family started a Lyle and Norma Erickson benefit fund. You can drop of donations at any Bremer Bank.

Tags: