INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published September 25, 2009, 10:08 AM

Fargo apartment fire victim ID'd

FARGO, N.D. (AP) — Investigators say a fire that killed a Fargo man apparently started after two stove burners were left on in the kitchen.

FARGO, N.D. (AP) — Investigators say a fire that killed a Fargo man apparently started after two stove burners were left on in the kitchen.

Authorities say 27-year-old William Nelson was found in the hallway outside his third-floor apartment late Wednesday and died as a result of the fire.

Fire Capt. Randy Weiss said it appears Nelson tried to put out the fire before he was overcome. Investigators said he was spotted from the parking lot, opening windows and trying to vent the flames.

Weiss said firefighters use the term "flashed over" to describe conditions in which the heat got to the point where it ignited the whole apartment. He estimated the temperature reached at least 1,200 degrees in Nelson's apartment.

The fire was confined to the corner apartment. Damage is estimated at about $80,000.

Tags: