INFORUM.com | WDAZ.com

WDAY: The News Leader

Published December 02, 2011, 04:43 PM

Fire Causes Evacuation of Grand Forks Motel; No One Hurt

GRAND FORKS (WDAZ-TV) - Firefighters were trying to make sense of a blaze at the America's Best Value Inn on N. 42nd St. in Grand Forks Friday afternoon.

GRAND FORKS (WDAZ-TV)- A fire destroyed a UND student's apartment on the second floor of America's Best Value Inn on north 42nd street.

The fire started just before 4:30 p.m. Friday.

People were evacuated as smoke was billowing out of second floor windows.

19-year-old Sarah Gorvin and her roommate live above America's Best Value Inn.

Tonight she was surprised at what she came home to after work.

"I got a message from one of my friends saying there were fire trucks over here so I sped home." Gorvin said.

A fire destroyed her bedroom and caused smoke damage to the second floor.

"All the walls are black, there's water everywhere and there really wasn't much left of my room, so it was pretty sad." Gorvin said.

Staff worked quickly to evacuate everyone from the building. You couldn't see the flames from the outside, but there was a lot of smoke.

"We arrived, we had smoke showing, we had reports from the P.D. that there was smoke in the building, guys made entry, they got the fire knocked down in the 2nd floor apartment." Grand Forks Fire Battalion Chief Mike Sandry said.

15 firefighters were on the scene and according to the owner, the complex was full at the time.

"Once we had a crew on the scene it was just a matter of a couple 3 or 4 minutes to get the fire located and knocked down more of the work is going to be overhauling it." Sandry said.

Although the fire caused some people to lose a place to stay for the night, others like Gorvin lost much more.

"You know everyday things, my clothes are gone, computers gone, my books for my classes are actually saved but bed is gone, T.V. everything's gone." Gorvin said.

No injuries were reported.

The fire is still under investigation.

Tags: